Stuck for ideas these school holidays or seeking a long weekend road-trip to re-connect with your children? Here are 50 ideas of things to do with the kids in Central NSW.
On the list is Mayfield Garden, the Australian Fossil and Mineral Museum, the National Motor Racing Museum, The Ages of Fishes Museum, the Cowra Japanese Garden and Cultural Centre, the Dish at Parkes and Jenolan Caves. It also includes the simple joys of walking, fishing, kayaking and picnicking.
- Come face to face for a selfie with a T-Rex at the Australian Fossil and Mineral Museum
- Enjoy the natural air conditioning underground at Abercrombie Caves (15 degrees all year round!)
- Treat yourself to a famous homemade ice cream at Annie’s Ice Cream Parlour – best enjoyed whilst wandering along Kings Parade.
- Feel like you have travelled back in time with a visit to the 50 room Scottish baronial mansion Abercrombie House
- Join the gold rush at History Hill Museum whilst visiting Hill End
- Spend some time enjoying the sunshine in the Heritage Park in Blayney – the Mouse House is a lot of fun!
- Visit the Golden Memories Museum in Millthorpe & enjoy the history behind some Australian inventions and collection of Aboriginal items.
- After being vacant for over 60 years the old corner store in Newbridge is now the Olde Bridge Gallery – and you will enjoy furniture, pottery, chocolates and photography – all hand made by local artists
- Open every weekend you’ll discover a fascinating collection of instruments at the Golden Era Piano Museum in Neville
- Located in the Historic Carcoar Court House on weekends you’ll find personalised pottery for every occasion.
- Animals on Bikes (120 paddock sculptures) trip from Molong to Cumnock to Yeoval, an attractive on route to Dubbo Zoo. A family competition, to spot Sculptures.
- Banjo Paterson Museum, Yeoval, view memorabilia & enjoy country baked treats from the café.
- Heifer Station cellar door on Escort Way Orange. A family friendly petting zoo farm & cellar door.
- Canowindra’s famous bendy main street, historic buildings and take family balloon ride to view from above. View the fossils at the Age of Fishes Museum in Canowindra
- Gold pan at Ophir Reserve, visit the Borenore Caves, picnic and enjoy the scenic views.
- Explore the stunning Cowra Japanese Garden & Cultural Centre and feed the koi fish and resident ducks.
- Picnic, enjoy the scenic views and the playground at Bellevue Hill lookout
- Trek, fish, camp and re-connect with Nature at its finest at Wyangala Dam
- Visit ‘Claire’ our magic girl in the hologram at the Prisoner of War theatre & learn more of our past at the Cowra Visitor Centre
- Enjoy our Lachlan River precinct, throw a line or take a splash in the river, picnic whilst letting your fur babies enjoy the leash free area and take in the stunning Indigenous Murals under the Cowra Bridge.
- Visit the Wiradjuri Dreaming Centre – read the story poles and see totem animals and life size sculptures that describe Wiradjuri culture.
- Wander through the CBD, enjoy cafes and shops, and the beautiful historic buildings.
- Stroll around Lake Forbes, take a picture with the sculptures (not just in the park) or stretch on the exercise equipment. There’s over 10kms of pathed walkway to jog, walk your dog (on a lead) or ride your bike/scooter.
- Car lovers can visit the McFeeters Motor Museum, look at Vintage, Veteran, Classic and Street Rod vehicles.
- For something AMAZING head out the South Condobolin Road on the Lachlan River and take a selfie with the giant red amazing sculpture – be creative and tag your mates!
- Take a selfie in front of your favourite ute throughout the unique & quirky public art trail of Utes in the Paddock at Condobolin
- Get active & walk, kayak or sail on Lake Cargelligo.
- Travel to the actual geographical Centre of NSW at Tottenham
- Experience a pub lunch at the legendary Rabbit Trap Hotel at Albert & take a selfie with the impressive Rabbit Trap sign
- The birdlife in the Shire is a photographer’s paradise – who knows what rare species you may find!
- See one of the World’s oldest cave systems Jenolan Caves
- Have a picnic at the beautiful Mayfield Gardens
- Fossick for Sapphires in Oberon and Black Springs
- Fish, Kayak or Sail in the alpine waters of Lake Oberon
- See weapons from the Boer War to the present day at the Oberon RSL Military Museum
- Explore the Autumn colours Cook Park, Botanical Gardens & the streets of Orange.
- Pick your own apples fresh from the trees (March- May).
- Look out for the first flurry in Australia’ snowiest city.
- Go indoors, rain hail or shine with Indoor Tennis, Orange Ten Pin Bowls or the Aquatic Centre.
- Full steam ahead – ride the Miniature Trains in Matthews Park.
- Tune into the universe with a visit to The Dish, CSIRO Parkes Radio Telescope
- Rock back in time at the King’s Castle Elvis Exhibit and the Parkes Motor Museum
- Be amazed by historical aircraft at the Parkes Aviation Museum (open Thursdays and Sundays)
- Go on a trail of discovery at Peak Hill Gold Mine, marvel at spectacular open cut pits and enjoy self-guided walking trails
- Enjoy a meal at the historic Trundle Hotel along one of the widest main streets in Australia.
- Take a selfie with Henry Lawson – attend the Grenfell Henry Lawson Festival 6th-10th June 2019.
- Stroll the historic streets of Grenfell on a self-guided town walk
- Head to O’Brien’s Lookout, the location gold was first found
- Tick off another ‘big thing’ with a photo of the Big Gold Pick and Pan
- Enjoy free camping at Weddin Mountains National Park featuring Ben Halls’ Cave and Seaton’s Farm