The country town of Oberon is renowned for its beautiful countryside and agricultural production. Expansive softwood plantations, one of the largest privately-owned cool climate gardens, and paddock to plate pork and lamb are features of the area.
Oberon, located on the magnificent plateau extremes of the Blue Mountains, is also now on the map as a must-do for farm-gates and foraging with its new annual event the Field to Forest Festival in April.
This month-long array of activities in and around the Oberon region explores the delicacies and rare finds that one can forage for. The activities include specialised forage tours for wild mushrooms, secluded forest lunches, a newly launched wine trail and workshops with experts recounting their skills and knowhow on foraging in the forest.
Renowned chef Matt Moran forages for his mushrooms in Oberon, he said “As I live by the beach in Sydney, Oberon is a great contrast to enjoy some time away from it all. Everything from the amazing landscape and national parks and of course the distinct seasons which provides thriving ingredients to cook with!”
Oberon area producers:
- Lowes Mount Truffles – follow the farm dogs on a hunt through the Ilex, Robur and Hazelnut trees and learn how Oberon’s unique climate is putting Australian truffles on the map in some of the most exclusive restaurants around the world. June to August is the peak season to join their hunt and tasting tours. https://lowesmounttruffles.wordpress.com/
- The Walnut Grove – an orchard with over 1,100 trees planted in 2002, most are the traditional French variety Franquette, along with the popular Chandler variety, and Treyve Mayette as pollinising trees. www.thewalnutgrove.com.au
- Rokeby Olives and Tarana Olive Oil – an estate with 4,000 Tuscan olive trees grown in altitude of more than 800 metres above sea level, they produce Australian extra virgin olive oil under the brand name of ‘Tarana Olive Oil’ certified organic.
- Alstonefield Farm – produces quality Australian handcrafted woven and knitted alpaca products, kits and yarns from our herd of gentle tempered alpacas. www.alstonefield.com.au
- Malfroys Gold Honey – pure varieties of Wild honey and honeycomb harvested from bee-friendly Warré hives www.malfroysgold.com.au www.naturalbeekeeping.com.au
Other attractions in Oberon include Mayfield Garden, Jenolan Caves, Kanangra Walls, Gemstone Fossicking, and stay in B&B’s, farm-stays, glamping tents or chalets. Go to www.visitoberon.com/food-wine/.